Other symptoms that may be useful in diagnosis, but are not considered part of the International Behcet's Criteria:
- subcutaneous thrombophlebitis [inflammation of a vein beneath the skin]
- deep vein thrombosis [development of a blood clot]
- epididymitis [swelling and pain in one or both testicles]
- arterial occlusion and/or aneurysm [stroke]
- central nervous system involvement [e.g.: difficulties in movement or speech, memory loss]
- severe headaches with stiff neck [possible aseptic meningitis]
- joint pain [arthralgia] or non-destructive arthritis
- GI tract involvement [e.g.: bloating, cramping, diarrhea, bloody stools. Lesions may appear anywhere in digestive tract, from mouth to lower bowel]
- renal involvement [kidney function abnormalities]
- pulmonary [lung] vascular inflammation and pleuritis
- family history
Along with the symptoms described above, you may experience severe fatigue -- although as a general rule, fatigue can be a problem in many of the autoimmune diseases. It may also be caused by some medications.
Many patients have questioned whether Behçet’s disease can create problems with their hearing -- for example, tinnitus, fluctuating hearing loss, sudden deafness, and/or dizziness from inner ear vasculitis. For more information on this subject, please refer to the following journal articles:
- Gemignani G, Berrettini S, et al; Hearing and
vestibular disturbances in Behçet’s syndrome;
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1991; 100:459-463.
- Soylu L, Aydogan B, Soylu M, Ozsahinoglu C;
Hearing loss in Behçet’s disease; Ann Otol Rhinol
Laryngol 1995 Nov;104: 864-867.
- Morelli S, Perrone C, Ferrante L, Sgreccia A, Priori
R, Voci P, et al. Cardiac involvement in Behçet's
Patients with Incomplete BD may or may not progress to a full-blown case of Behçet's.
More basic information about Behcet's disease:
What is Behcet's disease?
How is Behcet's diagnosed? (including International Classification Criteria of 1989)
What causes Behcet's, and how will it affect my family and my life?
What is it like after 30 years of symptoms?
Return to "Behcet's Basics" homepage
About Behcet's Basics Blog Books Order/Donate Events Links Contact
Copyright 2009 Joanne Zeis